Proudly serving Saint Louis and surrounding areas
© 2010 MMC-StL. All rights reserved.
Have a question or comment?
HELP US HELP YOU
We are always looking to improve ourselves. If you have ideas how we can serve you better, we’d love to hear from you.
Send us a quick note using the form above.
For Immediate service call
How is the cost estimate determined on a local move?
Most moving companies base their estimates for local moves on an hourly rate. The rate depends on the number of movers and the number of trucks that are required for the job. The time billed should begin when they arrive at your home and end when they are finished unloading and assembling everything in your new home. Moving companies will add travel time to your move which should be approximately 1 hour based on 30 minutes drive time from the moving company to your original home and 30 minutes from your final destination back again to the moving company's home base. We typically estimate moves @ approximately 1 hour per room, number of boxes, and any extras.
How to Choose the Right Moving Company for Your Local Move:
-- Are you a little nervous about who to trust with moving your earthly possessions? Follow these steps to finding a reliable moving company and a little peace of mind. --
- Talk to friends, neighbors and co-workers for personal recommendations and warnings.
- If you are looking for choices on the Internet make sure you DO NOT USE A BROKER. Current consumer protection laws related to the movement of household goods do not apply to Household Goods Brokers. Once a broker sells you, he sells the job to the highest bidder, and he is no longer responsible to you. Brokers are not licensed to do the actual moves. With a broker you’ll never know who is going to show up on moving day and they will usually charge you a lot more then you where told by the broker. Always ask are you a broker?
- Spend some time talking with each moving company it’s a good sign if they take the time to understand your moving needs. Ask questions. If the company representative isn't friendly and helpful on the phone, call someone else.
- Don’t let a moving company bait you with low hourly rates. A professional moving company is sure to perform your move more efficiently and protect your belongings and that’s what ultimately saves you money.
- Occasionally, no matter how careful a moving company is, an item may be damaged. That’s why it’s important to ask the moving company about their claims policy.
- Verify that the moving company is insured.
- Verify they are a member in Good Standing of your Local Better Business Bureau.
- Verify that the moving company is licensed and regulated. You can inquire from state agencies that regulate transportation services, or look in the phone book under a Public Utility Commission (PUC) or Department of Transportation (DOT).
*** The lowest hourly rate in a local move is not necessarily the lowest final price. Some moving companies bait you with low hourly rates and then in the sneakiest of ways prolong the time required to finish the move to raise the cost of your move. Always choose the moving company best suited based on the above criteria not the hourly price. ***
* Watch out for hidden costs always ask are there any other potential cots I may be required to pay?
* DO NOT USE A BROKER. Always ask are you a broker?
***** Before you choose a National Van Line, keep in mind most Van Lines don't have the authority to do local moves. The moving contract will be with you and their local agent and the Van Line will not be responsible in the case of any damages or other potential problems. Rarely will the agent tell you this and if he does not choose another mover. *****